Sonoma County is a great place to bike and walk for fun, and with temperate weather and relatively flat terrain it can also be a great place to commute by bike or foot. Using human powered transportation contributes to a healthier lifestyle and environment while saving money and stress from traffic and parking.
- Follow the rules of the road while biking and use marked crosswalks while walking.
- The Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition has classes and workshops on safe cycling, and many other resources.
- Bike safety is important for both cyclists and drivers. Review Sonoma County Transit’s information on the 3-foot law.
Bikes on Transit
- SMART provides information on how to bring your bike on the train and on using the BikeLink lockers at the stations.
- Santa Rosa CityBus, Sonoma County Transit, Petaluma Transit, and Golden Gate Transit all provide information about how to bring your bike on a bus.
The Emergency Ride Home program takes the worry out of biking or walking to work or school by reimbursing rides home in cases of a qualifying emergencies.
- Santa Rosa Cycling Club and Biker Chicks are two cycling clubs for recreational riding and routes for all levels of difficulty.
- Community Bikes, Bike Partners, and the Bike Lending Library can help you find the right bike for you.
- Sebastopol Walks has resources for exploring Sebastopol by foot.
- The Sonoma County Health Action Partnership’s iWalk initiative can inspire you to walk.
- Safe Routes to School has resources for commutes to school for your kids.