COVID Considerations: Offices and workplaces are beginning to open in and around Sonoma County. A disruption in the norm is an opportunity for behavior change like biking to work more frequently.
- Bikes Make Life Better has created a guide for employers to support and encourage bicycle use when returning to work.
By encouraging employees to use alternatives to driving alone to work, work places can be leaders in sustainability while boosting employee satisfaction and productivity.
Employee Commute Program
- The Employer Commute Program Toolkit takes employers through the steps to get started and consider program elements that are available in Sonoma County.
- The Spare the Air Employer Program has an array of regional resources for commuting. You can register to stay up to date on how businesses are helping to Spare the Air and clean commute alerts, a quarterly newsletter and other announcements.
- The Bay Area Commuter Benefits Program, through 511.org, can guide you through compliance requirements for employers with 50 or more employees. Employers with less than 50 Bay Area employees may also be subject to a local commuter benefits ordinance.
- Bay Area Commute Tips has a list of incentives offered by different public and private organizations that employers can offer their employees.
Telework / Variable Hours
- Association for Commuting Transportation has a list of tips specific for establishing and supporting a telework program during COVID-19.
- Telework allows employees to work from home or at another location closer to home, reducing or eliminating the need to commute.
- A Variable Work Hours Program is an alternative to the traditional 8 hours a day, 5 days a week work schedule, reducing the need to commute.
Incentives and Encouragement
The Emergency Ride Home program will reimburse rides home in cases of emergency for anyone who works in Sonoma County and uses an alternative transportation option, such as carpooling, vanpooling, public transit, bicycling, or walking.
- Download the How to Use Emergency Ride Home flyer.
- 511’s Vanpool and carpool incentives can encourage individuals to find matches and ride together.
- Transit passes and discounts may be available to fit employee needs.
- Become a bike friendly business and encourage employees to ride their bikes.
- Bike to Work day (in May) is a great way to encourage your employees to try out a bike commute.
- Let employees know that this website is a good place to get started! Download a GoSonoma flyer in English and Spanish.